Complaint Process

Filing a complaint (in the unincorporated County):

Call (9​16) 368-PETS​ (7387).

Please provide the following information: 

  • Exact location, with street names and addresses 
  • Complete description of the animal - size, color, breed, gender  
  • Nature of the abuse or problem  
  • License plates of owners  
  • Address and description of the home and suspected person 

Learn more about how to file a complaint through the County's 311 Connect. Learn more about animal on animal violence.

The investigation:

  • The Chief Animal Control Officer will assign an officer to investigate the issue.
  • If no information is verified, the animal cannot be located, or further information deems the complaint to be unfounded, the complaint is closed.
  • If the complaint is found to have merit, the officer will take the next necessary steps to move the issue forward.
  • Vicious animal complaints require a vicious animal affidavit to be filed; at this time the Chief Officer will open an investigation. 

After the investigation:

  • If an animal has been abandoned or is being kept in an unsafe or unsatisfactory condition, a notice to impound the animal within two (2) business days is posted at the location by the officer. This two day period is required by law. 
  • At the end of the two days the officer returns, and if the situation is not corrected, the animal is impounded.
  • If the animal is deemed to be in immediate danger, a hazard to others in the community or needs to be quarantined, the officers have the discretion to impound the animal immediately without the notice.